So, I recently have had two friends inquire on gluten-free cookbooks, tips, and tricks. Below, is what I responded with, but I would love to know your opinions too. Here is a couple questions to get you started:
- What is the one thing that make your life easier to be GF?
- What is your favorite source for information? i.e. what is your go-to?
- What is the one thing that sets you back the most? (for me it is sauces and cream based soups)
A different option would be "Gluten-free Girl and Chef" by Shauna and Danny Ahern. I have not gotten this one, but is is receiving some rave reviews from the NY Times and such. I think as much as this is a cookbook, it also chronicles some of the struggles Shauna had with going gluten-free. She also has a great blog.
Last, if you would like to get her a magazine subscription, Living Without is a great magazine. It covers GF and food allergies really well, with new recipes in each issue.
A couple of tips to give your friend:
- figure out a flour mix she likes I mainly use the nearly normal GF mix. You can buy it premixed online, but I actually prefer to use the proportions and mix up my own. that way I can add in more whole grains, etc. But depending on how much of a baker she is, having something pre-mixed is nice. There are tons of other mixes that she can buy, in fact bisquik now has a GF version. I would avoid the Bob's Red mill GF flour, unless she really likes chickpeas. They use a bean flour blend that can really turn you off to the possibilities. Bob's individual flours are great.
- Bisquik, Betty Crocker and some other big names now have GF offerings.
- learn to bake by weight 5oz = 1 cup of flour. By doing that, you can usually substitute G-F flour for any of your standard flour containing recipes
- The best bread out there is Udi's and Kinnikinnick has good baked goods too. Whole Foods has a good freezer section as well.
- Amy's has a good GF rice mac and cheese
- The web has been my true go-to for recipes etc. If you want to give her a link to my infrequently updated blog (I need to work on that). I have a whole list of good blogs to follow. (Look to your right)
So, what would you add?